I Want to Break My Lease

Notice Periods exist for ending a Tenancy, and they can be found by following this link: Notice Periods for Ending a Tenancy (RTA)

To end a tenancy early you must:

  • Always inform the property manager/owner in writing of your intention to leave.
  • You may be asked to pay:
    • reasonable re-letting costs (usually 1 week’s rent plus GST)
    • reasonable advertising costs (if incurred), and
    • compensation for loss of rent (until a new tenant is found or until the end date of the agreement whichever happens first).
  • The property manager/owner is legally required to minimise any costs associated with breaking the lease. If you feel they are not mitigating this loss, contact the RTA for assistance.


  • You and the property manager/owner mutually agree in writing to end the agreement early on a specific date, or
  • Give the property manager/owner a Notice of intention to leave (Form 13) and leave the property (you will probably need to pay compensation), or
  • Get your property manager/owner’s approval to transfer your interest in the property. If you have paid a bond you will need to fill out a Change of bond contributors (Form 6), or
  • Apply to QCAT to end the agreement due to excessive hardship (if you have evidence to support the application).